View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Robert Louis Stevenson 
Lieutenant

Post Robert Louis Stevenson
Robert Louis Stevenson should get his 15 minutes of fame here.

"Kidnapped" is on PBS tonight. "Treasure Island" is a classic. For a sickly man Stevenson seemed to be able to conveyed a few truths and definitely the atmosphere of seafaring.

He annoyed H. Ryder Haggard into writing his own adventure stories (though none on sea adventure, so Haggard was the loser).

"What happens we have got
the Maxim gun, and they have not."
-Hillaire Belloc

Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:42 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Robert Louis Stevenson
CAPTCaltrop wrote:
Robert Louis Stevenson should get his 15 minutes of fame here. "Kidnapped" is on PBS tonight. "Treasure Island" is a classic.

Thanks for the heads-up. I recorded "Kidnapped" to watch later. Stevenson has been a favorite of mine since childhood.

Even though many people have strong feelings one way or another about Charlton Heston (which are best not expressed here for obvious reasons), I thought this story worth repeating.

A few years ago, "Treasure Island" was re-made (yet again) starring Charlton Heston and directed by his son. His son was interviewed about why they selected this book as a father-son project. The director answered that when he was a young boy, his father would read him to sleep each night by tackling a chapter from a book on the son's book shelf. As they worked their way across the shelf, they encountered "Treasure Island." You can well imagine Heston's efforts for his son as he made Long John Silver, young Jim Hawkins, crazy ole Ben, and even the squawking parrot come alive!

I very much doubt that the son fell asleep until "after" his father left his bedroom.

When they finished the book, Heston pointed to the shelf and asked his son what did he want to start the next night. His son replied "Let's do this one again!"

Years later, "Treasure Island" was an easy choice.

Don

Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:36 am
Lieutenant

Post Kidnapped has been kidnapped?
I think Masterpiece Theater's "Kidnapped" is filmed on location and the cinimetography is spectacular. Sadly I think they may have added some "improvements" to the plot. It has been some time since I've read "Kidnapped," but I detect the insertion of a subplot or two that did not exist in the original.

I couldn't believe it when they did something similar to "Moby Dick."

How do you improve upon classics?

"What happens we have got
the Maxim gun, and they have not."
-Hillaire Belloc

Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:05 pm
Profile WWW
Admin

I'm not much of a TV watcher, so I missed Kidnapped.

I'm not a Charlton Heston fan, but I did like that version of Treasure Island. It's been a while since I've read the book, so I don't know how faithful it was.

I loved Christopher Lee as Blind Pew and Oliver Reed as Billy Bones.

Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:54 pm
Profile YIM

Post Re: Robert Louis Stevenson
CAPTCaltrop wrote:
"Kidnapped" is on PBS tonight.

BTW, last night was only part one of "Kidnapped." Part two is next weekend. Since PBS does try to offer repeats for those who miss a showing, part one may be repeated in your area. My local PBS station is having their annual action, so some of the regular programming is disrupted and there might not be a repeat in this area, at least I could not find it with a quick search.

Don

Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]