View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 To the Ends of the Earth 
Admin

Post To the Ends of the Earth
This new BBC series, based on the trilogy of books by William Golding, was mentioned on another forum. It is a three-part series that will be broadcast next month on BBC2, starting on Wednesday, 6 July.

More info here. Thanks to Mil for finding it.

It looks good. I hope it makes it over to US TV. If not, at least on DVD.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:10 am
Profile YIM
Admin

I've been looking at the pictures and watching the clips on the official site. All I can say is "huzza!" for the BBC.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:43 am
Profile YIM
Admin

This does look enticing. I've seen a few trailers, and look forward to it.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:44 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

I watched the first episode of this new series last evening and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, I cannot comment on how good is its adaptation from Golding's novels, having not read them.

From all that I know, being an armchair sailor myself, I thought it gave a realistic picture of an ancient 74 called into service as a passenger ship, with the captain horrified when a passenger presumed to invade his sacred quarterdeck uninvited.

I shall be interesting to see how the series develops.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:15 am
Profile YIM
Admin

I watched Episode II and found it equally entertaining as the first episode.

Without spoiling, a British sea captain on encountering another at sea, over dinner, mentions that a steam tug pulled them out of harbour quickly, where our hero of Golding's story, asks the two captains about the possibility of steam fighting ships in the near future.

His question was greeted with shock, amazement, stunned silence and then guffaws at even the thought of such a vessel! ... how could they fire a broadside with paddle wheels? ...what if the paddle wheels were shot out, etc? ...and the dirt ... :roll:

It reminded me of when HH encountered such a steam tug which left him disgusted at the smuts and filth all over his beautifully clean scrubbed decks. Alas, I cannot remember which book.

I don't know how closely the TV adaptation follows Golding's written work, but its certainly entertaining, and a sea yarn !! Btw, the chappie who played Higgins in M&C is in the cast.

Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:16 am
Profile YIM

For us poor colonials, delay in seeing quality BBC TV is a fact of life, but I assume that we will see this series in a year or two. To that end, I recently purchased an omnibus edition of "To the Ends of the Earth" and hope to read it before that happens.
Don

Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:20 am
Admin

His question was greeted with shock, amazement, stunned silence and then guffaws at even the thought of such a vessel! ... how could they fire a broadside with paddle wheels? ...what if the paddle wheels were shot out, etc? ...and the dirt ... :roll:

LOL! They have a point. No broadsides indeed.

Quote:
Btw, the chappie who played Higgins in M&C is in the cast.

Yes, Richard McCabe. I saw him listed in the credits. I still think of him as Captain Benwick from Persuasion, though!

<i>Like the bubble on the fountain,
  Thou art gone, and forever!</i>

Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:21 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

LOL! I didn't realize he was with Tenpole Tudor...I vaguely remember their videos from the early MTV days (when MTV actually focused on music).

Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:59 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Here is the BBC Press Pack for the series.

I wonder what they did with the ship set they built? Maybe the Hornblower producers could use it if they decide to film more shows.

Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:07 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

I watched the final episode, and won't spoil for anyone, especially for those who won't have read the books first.

The last episode concluded in nail-biting drama, and IMO the shipboard scenes were very good. I've never been to sea under sail, but I believe for any landlubber it gives a feeling for how it might be in a wooden ageing man o' war of that size in rough weather.

Well done, BBC!

Last edited by Mil Goose on Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:02 am
Profile YIM
Admin

If anyone hears anything about broadcast times/networks in the U.S., please post the information here. I don't watch a whole lot of TV and don't pay attention to the listings.

Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:52 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

From all that I know, being an armchair sailor myself, I thought it gave a realistic picture of an ancient 74 called into service as a passenger ship, with the captain horrified when a passenger presumed to invade his sacred quarterdeck uninvited.

I found this web page, which has an account of how the <i>Hercules</i>, 74, was used to transport emigrants from Scotland to Australia.

Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:53 am
Profile YIM

I noticed that the first episode (Rites of Passage) of the movie version of William Golding's "To the Ends of the Earth" will be broadcast this Sunday, October 22, 2006 on my local PBS station as part of the Masterpiece Theater series. Looking forward to watching it. I guess I will have to start reading the book now... it has been gathering dust on my "to read" shelf since last year.

Don

Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:26 am
Admin

Oh yay! I just checked the Hawaii PBS schedule and they're also showing it.

Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:01 am
Profile YIM
Commander

Seems this will be on PBS in Oregon as well. However, it's up against 'Desperate Housewives,' one of my wife's favorite programs, and with only one TV currently available and no way to tape, I'll not be watching. :cry:
Charity

Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next