View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Time Team - Norman Cross 
Admin

Post Time Team - Norman Cross
Just to advise that I contacted Channel 4 and Time Team's visit to Norman Cross and received the following response:

" .....We can confirm that the episode in question will be broadcast as part of the new series of the programme which commences on the 3rd of October at 5.25pm on Channel 4. "

Unfortunately, the specific date is not evident at the moment.

For the benefit of those not in the UK, or not familiar with Norman Cross, I thought I had better add a couple of links.

Time Team

Norman Cross

... and some previous posts about Norman Cross from the forum: View here

Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:35 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Post Re: Time Team - Norman Cross
The programme was shown last evening. Did anyone watch it? Any comments?

Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:30 am
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

Yes, we watched it with interest. I thought that it was one of Time Team's better programmes. The enthusiasm was appropriate, there were lots of positive finds, and the conclusion was pretty satisfactory. The mystery of the 'lost' graveyard remains, and (as several people commented) it is inconceivable that local folk memories among this farming region would not recall that a major burial ground was in such-and-such a field at the start of the nineteenth century.
I recorded the programme on disk; I think it was one worth watching again sometime.
The Time Team formula, of having only 3 days to dig a site, is obviously a serious restriction. It worked OK on this site, where there was enough preliminary research data and lots of finds. It has been a bit of a disaster on some large unexplored sites.

Martin

Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:09 pm
Profile WWW
Admin

I quite agree with what you have written, Martin. I also thought there was sufficient content to keep both the informed and the lesser informed happy, say, for instance, finding the tiny scrimshaw wheel and showing an example as to how it would have been used, and, indeed whetting the appetite of the viewer to visit Peterborough Museum to see their magnificent exhibition of the scrimshaw work there.

I also thought the programme ended well, poignantly mentioning that the resiting of the eagle five years ago is now in a more appropriate location - close to the graveyard where the Frenchmen were laid to rest.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:01 am
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

Mil Goose wrote:
... finding the tiny scrimshaw wheel and showing an example as to how it would have been used, and, indeed whetting the appetite of the viewer to visit Peterborough Museum to see their magnificent exhibition of the scrimshaw work there.

Yes, I loved the enthusiasm that the team showed for the little scraps of bone scrimshaw that were found. When I first went to the Peterborough museum, over 20 years ago, with my wife who was studying the scrimshaw and other sailor's work there, the museum had a huge display of material that had probably originated in the Norman Cross Depot. There were lots of beautiful bone ships - the archetypical examples of Napoleonic P.o.W. work. I was last at the museum a couple of years ago, and most of the ships had disappeared. The total display of "Norman Cross" style artifacts was sadly reduced. There was a model toy, like the one shown on the Time Team programme, and some of the straw marquetry work that proved controversial at the time the prisoners were making and selling it because it was competing with English straw workers in the eastern counties. I think that there was just one bone ship on display. I was told that the rest of the large collection had been moved into storage, and was being conserved.

Maybe the Time Team programme will give the museum an incentive to put more P.o.W. artifacts back on display?

Martin

Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:41 am
Profile WWW
Admin

Oh what a shame Martin! I hadn't realised they'd reduced the amount of exhibits. It must be four or five years since I last visited. On wet days, when we fancy a day out, I often think we should head in the opposite direction of the coast, and head off to the museum at Peterborough.

Yes, as you say, let's hope the authorities there can be persuaded to display more of the scrimshaw.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:45 pm
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

Mil Goose wrote:
... On wet days, when we fancy a day out, I often think we should head in the opposite direction of the coast, and head off to the museum at Peterborough....

Well, don't go this year! Peterborough Museum are closing until 2012 for a major refurbishment.

The good news is that they intend to enlarge the Norman Cross exhibition and restore some of the wonderful PoW work, that used to be on display years ago, but which had been put into storage in recent years.

Martin

Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:28 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]