View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 BBC Sea Fever - Sea Shanties 
Admin

Post BBC Sea Fever - Sea Shanties

Did anyone else watch this programme last night?

Details here

I thought it was so entertaining and so reminiscent of the Great Yarmouth Maritime Festival, which I love to attend, with the music and singing.

I know folks overseas can't watch iPlayer, but I thought I would post it for the pleasure of seeing the artwork alone.

Sat May 08, 2010 5:57 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Alas, there's a big message box (sorry you can't view this, blah blah...) that obscures most of the artwork! Looks dramatic...what I can see of it.

Sat May 08, 2010 6:21 am
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

I agree. The sea shanty programme was very successful. It was unpretentious, informative and really enjoyable. I liked the way that the young presenter, Gareth Malone, took rather a back seat and wasn't always in front of the camera. He covered quite a good range of UK ports and their focus on songs. The fisherwomen of Aberdeen, the lifeboatmen of Whitby (and the group there, Kimber's Men, once made one of the best CDs in my opinion: "Don't Take the Heroes", sold only in the RNLI shops and out of stock for a long time now). The programme ended with the "Fishermen's Friends" singers of Port Isaac in Cornwall. A nice local group who, according to recent newspaper reports, have 'landed' a lucrative recording contract. I have today received in the post one of their earlier records: "Home from the Sea" (CLCD12702, recorded in Port Isaac Church in 2002). A very enjoyable set of maritime songs, old and new. The group sing with a nice harmony, without any instrumental backing in this CD. Their latest CD, which I have not heard yet, is criticized by the folk-song fraternity for an intrusive musical backing.

I was sorry that the shanty programme was only on the digital TV channel, BBC4, thereby preventing me from recording it on my ancient VCR tape recorder. I hope the series will be repeated again, on a more generally accessible channel.

Sorry to have missed the Schooner Pickle programme. I had to take the Chief Mate to Sickbay that evening. I expect her home again later today.

Martin

Sat May 08, 2010 3:42 pm
Profile WWW
Admin

Sorry to have missed the Schooner Pickle programme. I had to take the Chief Mate to Sickbay that evening. I expect her home again later today.

Martin,

Sorry to hear this. I hope she is okay?

Sun May 09, 2010 3:26 am
Profile YIM
Midshipman

I watched both the HMSchooner Pickle programme and the Sea Shanties one, and found them both very interesting.

It's an inescapable fact of life in the UK: we are so closely tied to the sea. Because of the geography of the country, it's impossible to be more the 80 miles from the coast, and most places are a good deal closer than that.

Sun May 09, 2010 3:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]