View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 HMS Falcon in Danish Waters 1808 
Lieutenant

Post HMS Falcon in Danish Waters 1808
May I blow my own trumpet? For a little over two years I and a Danish colleague have been stirring a question of identity which started with Danish records of a single unnamed English frigate ["engelske fregat"] raiding the island of Endelave once in 1808. Thanks to many sources, including friends at Sailing Navies, we believe we now have a complete and verifiable story. Read all about it on the new Wikipedia page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_FALCON_in_Danish_Waters_1808

As with all Wikipedia pages, this story is now open for anybody to use,correct, add to, extend or link to other worksites.

I think I will have to chase HMS Salsette for my next project - she seems interesting.

Viking

Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:54 am
Commander

Post Re: HMS Falcon in Danish Waters 1808
Very well done, Viking.

I look forward to reading about SALSETTE (a former East India Company frigate in the Baltic seems a contradiction in terms. :wink:). She seems to have had her problems with the natural hazards of the region.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:36 am
Lieutenant

The Wikipedia entry on HMS Salcette (and the confusion over her name) is brief but accurate.
She was not however 'an East India Company frigate' but a regular naval vessel that happened to be built at the EIC dockyard in Bombay by the Parsi shipbuilder Jamsetjee Bomanjee under contract - the first of a number of teak built vessels which included frigates (Doris, Trincolmalee etc) and ships of the line (like Asia and Wellesley) constructed for the navy between 1805 and 1815.
The idea of building there was that of Admiral St Vincent in 1803 when First Lord who was worried over dwindling supplies of oak and was impressed with teak - a long lasting timber (Trincomalee is still with us) whose oils resisted the appetites of ship worm and were so protective that iron nails could be used with the copper without causing a dangerous reaction.

Brian

Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:11 pm
Commander

Brian Vale wrote:
The Wikipedia entry on HMS Salcette (and the confusion over her name) is brief but accurate.
She was not however 'an East India Company frigate' but a regular naval vessel that happened to be built at the EIC dockyard in Bombay by the Parsi shipbuilder Jamsetjee Bomanjee under contract - the first of a number of teak built vessels which included frigates (Doris, Trincolmalee etc) and ships of the line (like Asia and Wellesley) constructed for the navy between 1805 and 1815.
The idea of building there was that of Admiral St Vincent in 1803 when First Lord who was worried over dwindling supplies of oak and was impressed with teak - a long lasting timber (Trincomalee is still with us) whose oils resisted the appetites of ship worm and were so protective that iron nails could be used with the copper without causing a dangerous reaction.

Brian

True. I should have said built by the East India Company at their Bombay Dockyard for the RN and launched as PITT (name changed to SALSETTE in 1807- Salsette being one of the islands making up Bombay). Broken up in 1874.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]