View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 The British ships in the Barents Sea 1810 
Volunteer

Post The British ships in the Barents Sea 1810
In 1810, 19 August, near the North Cape, an unknown British ship captured a Russian ship «Evlus 2». Prompt please, what English ship could be at this time at North Cape?

Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:54 pm
Lieutenant

Post Re: The British ships in the Barents Sea 1810
In a private message, Vladimir has expanded the information he has available to enable the search for “Evlus 2” and its captors.

Quote:
I live in Murmansk region. I search for documents on stay of the English ships in Barents Sea in 1809 and 1810. Me interests, in 1810 it there was a squadron of Capt. Frederick Cottrell or it [if] there were other ships?

"Evlus 2" was a merchant ship carrying wheat in Norway.The captain [of] "Evlus" was Matvej Gerasimov. Having Captured Russian ship, the British sent on board the "Evlus" an officer and seven sailors. Except for them, on "Evlus" there were Matvej Gerasimov and 4 Russian sailors (other Russian sailors have taken away aboard the English ship). On August, 24th "Evlus" has gone to coast of England. But on August, 30th, Russian seamen have managed to be released. They have killed one and have captured other British seamen. On September, 7th "Evlus" has approached to Vardø. All British sailors Gerasimov has transferred the commandant of a fort. As a token of respect, commandant Vardø has handed over to Gerasimov a sword of the English officer.

The island of Vardø can be found just east of North Cape on Google Maps

There is no record that I can find in London Gazette of such a ship being captured and prize money being awarded, but as it was recaptured by the Russian crew before delivery to a British controlled port, that is not surprising.

There is an entry for “Captain Frederick Cottrell” on wikipædia at the link below, confirming his presence in the Barents Sea in 1809, but he and his ship were elsewhere in 1810 [Leeward Islands from January 1810 and Barbados in April 1811, where Captain Cottrell died on 19 April 1811]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMS_Najaden_(1796)

Cottrell’s death is recorded elsewhere as being in June 1811 !!
http://www.ageofnelson.org/MichaelPhillips/info.php?ref=16221811
Quote:
Ditto, Martinique.
Capt. COTTERELL died at sea of a consumption, aged 31, in June 1811.
and was succeeded by Capt. Farmery EPWORTH.

So who captured the “Evlus 2”. ??
If 1810 was the correct year, who was in the Barents Sea in that year?
Can anyone expand this thread?

Viking

Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:31 am
Volunteer

Hello Viking.
Many thanks for the help.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:38 pm
Lieutenant

I overlooked this comparison on the English-language report on Wikepedia, and Vladimir’s question. Both mention Matvey Gerasimov [the former as a merchant and the leader of militia at Kola,: the latter as captain of the captured grain ship “Evlus 2”] If this is the same man, it appears that the date of the incident would be 1809 rather than 1810.

On Google UK, I cannot find any reference to any Matvey Gerasimov

Viking

Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:09 pm
Volunteer

Yes, it is the same person. In 1809 Englishmen have burnt its house in village Teriberka. Then, in Kola, have taken away its ship. In 1809 Gerasimov have lost all property. Therefore, in 1810, it is compelled to be employed for the ship "Evlus".The ship belonged to a merchant to Alexey Popov.

Vladimir

Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:35 pm
Lieutenant

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomor_trade
Quote:
During the Napoleonic wars in the early 19th century, the United Kingdom introduced a trade embargo against Denmark-Norway. In this period, the pomor trade proved vital for North Norway. A decree legalising direct trade between fishermen and pomors during the war came in 1809, because of the looming famine. Several Russian vessels were seized by the UK, and thus many vessels did not sail any further than East Finnmark. The UK placed a blockade along Norway's coast in the years 1809-1812, amongst other things to stop the pomor trade and break the supply lines of goods from Arkangelsk. The White Sea was closed, but quite a few Russian vessels managed to slip through. The Norwegian response to the blockade was to fortify important harbours and set up a coast guard. A special Norwegian naval force came to be in 1810, "Finnmarkseskadren" or "The Finnmark squadron", making it possible to sustain the pomor trade for the next years.

The full article is a fascinating view of a little known [to me at any rate] trade in the far north. The section quoted is all that is said about Vladimir's question, but there are links to Norwegian/Russian language museum websites.

Thanks to Vladimir for raising the subject - I hope there will be a clearer answer eventually

Viking

Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:48 pm
Admin

Viking wrote:
Thanks to Vladimir for raising the subject - I hope there will be a clearer answer eventually

I second that thanks. I don't have anything useful to add, but I am interested in learning more.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:50 pm
Profile YIM
Volunteer

Thank you Viking for the new information. Continuing the theme article in Norwegian:

http://www.nyholms-skandse.no/artikkel/ ... kkelid=120

Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:43 pm
Lieutenant

HMS Nymphen is mentioned in the Norwegian article referenced above by Vladimir
From http://www.ageofnelson.org/MichaelPhillips/info.php?ref=1625
NYMPHEN (36) Taken on 7 September 1807 at the surrender of Copenhagen.
Sold in 1816.

• She was rated at 36 but mounted 42 guns.
• 1809 Capt. Keith MAXWELL, 01/1809.
North Sea.
On 5 July a court martial was held to try the carpenter, Mr John HINKS, for drunkenness. He was sentenced to be broke and to serve before the mast in any ship to which he might be sent.
• On 11 August NYMPHEN was serving in the West Scheldt under the orders of Lord William STUART, captain of LAVINIA.
Ten frigates moved up the river against the tide past the batteries at Flushing and Cadsand and came under the enemy's fire for nearly two hours.
AIGLE was struck by shell and had one man killed but NYMPHEN had no casualties.
1810 Capt. John HANCOCK, 01/1810.
He served on the North Sea station cruising off the coasts of Jutland and Norway.

On 3 March 1811 NYMPHEN captured the French privateer etc.

London Gazette records this ship as having 36 guns and a tonnage of 912 tons when sold for breaking up. - but no other records relevant to the year 1810.

Do we have here a candidate for Vladimir’s unnamed British warship?
Vladimir: If we had the name of the officer captured by Gerasimov, that might lead to a better answer!

Viking

Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:46 pm
Lieutenant

According to Rif Winfield the Nymphen was a receving ship at Leith during 1810, only sailing in Dec.

Cy

Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:45 pm
Lieutenant

Sorry, should have said her commander from Dec 1810 was John Hancock, who replaced Keith Maxwell.

Cy

Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:49 pm
Volunteer

Viking wrote:
Do we have here a candidate for Vladimir’s unnamed British warship?
Vladimir: If we had the name of the officer captured by Gerasimov, that might lead to a better answer!

Viking

The name of the captain of the English ship, unfortunately, is not known. The officer which was onboard "Evlus", according to Gerasimov, named Kabet Gordon.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:05 pm
Lieutenant

At last, another possibility!
All this from http://polarlitteratur.com/oppsyn.htm in Danish

HMS Snakes (18), Nightingale (16) and Gallant (14) were active at the North Cape in 1809, siezing Hammerfest as a base for raiding commerce.

Nightingale and Gallant were back in 1810, but in the face of a Danish squadron of brigs Lougen and Langeland, together with three newly built lesser gunships, they withdrew!

There is a hint in the danish reference of two British frigates that might have been operating in the wider waters between North Cape and Greenland.

I hope this gives Vladimir something good to chew on!
Viking

Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:40 am
Volunteer

Hello Viking!
This is very interesting information.
Thank you very much!

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]