View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Battle of Zealand Point - 22 March 1808 
Lieutenant

Post Battle of Zealand Point - 22 March 1808
Danish ship-of-the-Line Prinds Christian Frederick
The Battle of Zealand Point 22 March 1808

On the main website of http://www.sailingnavies.com there is an empty page for the last Danish ship-of-the-line Prinds Christian Frederick.

The final voyage of this ship, which ended at the Battle of Zealand Point on 22 March 1808, is well presented [in both Danish and English] on a Danish website at
http://www.navalhistory.dk/english/history/1801_1814/sjodde1808.htm
[Danish Naval History: Johnny E. Balsved ]

In the hours leading up to the final battle with two major British battleships [HMS Stately and Nassau] the Danish ship was closely followed, or lead, by HMS Quebec (32) and “two other frigates”.

From my own researches, these two other frigates can be identified as the 16-gun sloops HMS Lynx and HMS Falcon. The logbook of the Falcon [National Archives, Kew, London Ref ADM 51/4446 ]records joining up with Quebec and Lynx, receiving a signal “Enemy to windward”, and clearing for action some hours before meeting up with the British taskforce. This logbook entry, and other material from 1808 with respect to the falcon, can be read at my own website
http://www.youfreeweb.com/falcon1808/

I have not had access to the logbooks of Quebec or Lynx, but both are held at National Archives, Kew, London. Anyone interested in following up this note might start there. I would be interested to hear any results.

Viking

Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:59 pm
Lieutenant

Post Re: Battle of Zealand Point - 22 March 1808
Interesting! although I must take slight exception to the overstating of the British ships as "two major British battleships"

The Stately was an old 64-gun ship launched in 1784 and the Nassau an even older Danish prize 60-gunner (the Holsteen of 1774). Not what one would call state of the art.

I will note however that they were both slightly more heavily armed than the Prinds Christian Frederick, with 18-pdr upper deck guns as opposed to 12's. All three ships had 24-pounders on the lower decks.

Cy

Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:54 pm
Lieutenant

Post Re: Battle of Zealand Point - 22 March 1808
Cy is correct of course. The Nassau and Stately were only “major” in comparison with the 16 gun sloop HMS Falcon. My apologies! :(
Should anyone wish a copy of the Falcon’s log for that date, I have a digital photograph taken at Kew which took me several days to decipher and transcribe. Just ask.

Viking

Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]