View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Napoleon's navy victorious in the Indian Ocean 

Post Napoleon's navy victorious in the Indian Ocean
Napoleon's navy victorious in the Indian Ocean

Well its my first post on the Sailing Navies forum, so I might as well raise a few eyebrows amoungst the
regulars who have become accustomed to a long series of British naval victories over the french, that
they've almost dismissed Napoleon's navy as any threat to british sea power following the Battle of
Trafalgar.
Well 2010 or should I say 1810 is going to come as a rude interruption to their lordships of the admiralty
who counted on siezing the Isle de France ( modern day Mauritius ) where the french were operating
a frigate squadron raiding British merchant convoys sailing from India.
The french under Commodore Jaqcques Hamelin had dispatched a powerful frigate squadron, late in 1808
to harrass the british convoys.
Therefore Admiral Albermarle Bertie directed his Indian Ocean squadron under Commodore Josias Rowley
to blockade the French islands.

Battle of Grand Port 1810

For the next two years, the British raided ports and anchorages on the French islands while the French
attacked trade convoys in the Indian ocean. The British were able to slowly reduce the French presence
by eliminating their bases through limited invasions, but then suffered a major setback at the
Battle of Grand Port where a french squadron, under by Guy-Victor Duperré scores a notable victory
over a British royal naval squadron commanded of Captain Samuel Pym in August 1810.
Leaving the british Royal Navy on the defensive, during the autumn of 1810.
Naturally it was the worst british naval defeat of the Napoleonic Wars, although fortunately for the
Indian convoys, the setback proved shortlived as britain was soon on the offensive again. :roll:

Battle of Grand Port - re-enacted

As can be expected from the French ( what the British might count as a somewhat embarrasing
minor setback to the balance of power in the Indian Ocean ) is set to become a major celebration
for the French and Mauritian governments for in May 2010. A battle re-enactment is planned
for May 2010 where a number of square rigged saling ships will refight
the Battle of Grand Port. The re-enactment will include a number of living
history events in the harbour recreating life in Mauritius in 1810.

According to the tourist board, Ile de la Passe is being refurbished and a certain area of the
sea will be reclaimed to create the event.
About 10 ares of land will be converted remembling a village of the 19th century. Some buildings
are still in existence and declared as war monuments and preserved.

Mauritius Grand Port re-enactment news

Mauritius Update journal

Mauritius Travel Blog on the planned event

Napoleon's Mauritius victory

Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:26 pm
Admin

Welcome to the SN Forum!

Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:03 am
Profile YIM

Post Battle of Grand Port commemorations
Thanks for the welcome, Susan.

Anyway the Bicentennial commemorations for the French naval victory over the British
royal navy at the Battle of Grand Port, Mauritius, continues apace.
With the launching of the Grand Port website which includes a photo of former
French President Jacques Chirac, receiving a painting of the Battle of Grand Port from the
Mauritian Prime Minister back in 2006.
No doubt the painting has pride of place in the Elysee Palace, just to miff any visiting
Naval attaches from the British embassy.

Battle of Grand Port, 1810 commemoration website

Battle of Grand Port commemorations

Which brings me nicely onto the subject of French naval victories over the British.
Before I can even start looking up these 'best forgotten glitches in royal naval history'
The BBC have beaten me to it, with the second episode of Dan Snow's
Empire of the Sea, with the Battle of Beachy Head 1690 and Lagos Bay ( off Portugal ) in 1693.
Fortunately, just when I was thinking Britannia no longer rules the waves,
British naval supremacy is restored over the french by the end of the program. Phew !!!

See again - BBC2 Empire of the Sea's

Empire of the Seas, part 2

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]