View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 1:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 St George's Caye, 1798 

Post St George's Caye, 1798
In my continuing mission to wargame some of the world's obscure naval battles I'm looking fro information on the campaign leading up to the Battle of St George's Caye in September 1798. I've found some odd mentions here and there and can develop a partial order of battle for the British and the Baymen, but apart from vague descriptions I've not found much on the Spanish force. Can anyone point me to some decent references that might help? A decent chart of the area would help too!

Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:15 pm
Commander

You have not stated the authorities consulted and you may have seen the account in James:

http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/Naval_Histo ... P_249.html

Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:07 am

Thanks for that. apologies for not stating the sources I've already had the chance to scour. I've seen the entry in James, and also the description in the Naval Chronicle, but they (inevitably) present a very anglocentric view of the campaign. I was wondering whether there was anything that gave more of aview from the Spanish perspective. Some details on names of the Spanish vessels would also be extremely useful.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:35 am
Commander

They may have been "colonial" vessels, in which case you will need a great deal of luck. I notice that, on the British side, there was only one commissioned ship.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:56 am
Admin

I'm afraid I don't have any information useful to your recreation of the battle. However, I did find a song about it:

St. George's Caye

Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:03 am
Profile YIM
Admin

I'm afraid I don't have any information useful to your recreation of the battle. However, I did find a song about it:

St. George's Caye

I regret that I am unable to see that link, Susan. The usual old copyright thing, do you suppose?

Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:11 pm
Profile YIM

Susan, thanks for the link. It's useful to add some "colour" to the recreation.

Milgoose, Google Books blocks access to some books from some countries, but if you access the link via a site such as icanhide.com you should be able to download the file. I've just tried it and it works OK.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:22 pm
Admin

Milgoose, Google Books blocks access to some books from some countries, but if you access the link via a site such as icanhide.com you should be able to download the file. I've just tried it and it works OK.

.... I'll check it out. Thanks a million!

Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:51 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Susan, thanks for the link. It's useful to add some "colour" to the recreation.

.....p.s....thanks, DM; that worked a treat! :)

Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:29 am
Profile YIM

Hey There! found this forum while doing a casual search on St. George's Caye. I am from Belize (British Honduras) and actually own a house on the Caye. The Battle, its History and Importance to the Country are things I feel strongly about, and I enjoy sharing information on it. I have some books and maps, (some very crude) that may help. let me know what information you need.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:16 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Welcome to the SN Forum!

I'm sure DM will be pleased to hear that you will be able to provide local knowledge about the area and the battle.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:33 pm
Profile YIM

Thanks for the welcome! As soon as i find my books, I'll begin posting information.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:29 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]