View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 British squadron in the Baltic 1808 
Lieutenant

There are reasonable Google satellite maps of the Kola & Murmansk area. I have searched for signs of the 1809 fort but cannot see anything. Perhaps it was destroyed when Murmansk was constructed as a wartime port. Maybe someone more skilled at aerial reconnaissance can spot something?

There is a very well maintained and preserved 18th century fortress not far from here, at Vardø in Finnmark (north Norway). I am sure that the Vardø fort was not the one attacked, but there are some photos that might be of interest. A very good aerial view, a view of the interior on flickr and (amongst others) a rather poor one of the entrance area, that I took late one afternoon during a Hurtigruten voyage along the Norwegian coast.

Martin

Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:52 pm
Profile WWW

Post Wow - Kola
It is remarkable that there was an action at the Kola. It is a major Atlantic salmon river that debouches from the eastern end of the peninsula on which Murmansk is situated. As I work in wild salmon conservation, I know the river well, from images.

Fascinating material.

Tom Moffatt

Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:11 pm

Post New Information on Nyaden in northernmost Russia
There is a Russian website that has a page about the activity of HMS Nyaden in the Kola River and Kildin Island area in northernmost Russia:
http://ostrov-kildin.narod.ru/Vek19beg.html

While it is in Russian, if you search "Google Translate" and put the address in, the translation isn't bad. He also has a snippet of Capt. Frederick Cottrell's log. It notes that a night raid on Kildin Island wiped out a Russian garrison. Also other info on the activity, especially in June 1809. It says that HMS Nyaden was in charge, but there were two smaller vessels (brigs?) plus possibly a gun-brig (although it may just be a ship's launch with a carronade in it).

It also gives Nyaden's armament - 26 18-pdrs (I assume 8ft. long guns), plus 10 24-pdr carronades & a couple of 9-pdrs.

It was a pity that Cottrell (age 28 at the time of the Russian venture) died of Yellow Fever in April 1811 near Barbados. He sounds like one of that tribe of truly gifted frigate captains.

Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:21 pm
Lieutenant

Post Re: British squadron in the Baltic 1808
jenku wrote:
During the Finnish War or (Russo-Swedish War of 1808-1809) Sweden and Britain were allies. There was at least one British squadron in the Baltic during the time. The main objective as far as the northern theatre was concerned was to prevent the Russian high seas fleet from putting to sea. This was achieved. British and Swedish ships succeeded to blockade the Russian fleet in Estonia.

Now what I am trying to find out is which British ships were in the Northern Baltic during 1808. I know that the squadron was commanded by James de Saumarez, RN (despite the name...). He was later replaced by admiral Keats, don't exactly know when but I think it was during the winter 1808/09.

Ships that I know were there at one time or other are:
HMS Victory (flagship)
HMS Centaur
HMS Implacable

Now those are all ships of the line if I'm correct. I'd like to find out names of some frigates. Is there a way? I have been looking at the Times online archive, but it costs money...

From "Viking"
Many thanks to you for posing the question of ships in the baltic [1808] and the replies which have been very useful. I and a Danish colleague are looking for a Captain Forrest in 1808 [but cannot find one until 1809] to help verify a Danish source. See query from Viking, and associated website concerning HMS Falcon at Tunø and Endelave.
Viking

Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:31 pm
Volunteer

Hello!

Help me please find information about Captain Frederick Cottrell. I am interested in his biography and portrait.

Martin Evans wrote:
There are reasonable Google satellite maps of the Kola & Murmansk area. I have searched for signs of the 1809 fort but cannot see anything. Perhaps it was destroyed when Murmansk was constructed as a wartime port. Maybe someone more skilled at aerial reconnaissance can spot something?

The fort in the city of Kola was wooden. It has been completely destroyed during the Crimean war. Preserved only stone church.

Forgive me for bad English. :oops:

Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:30 pm
Admin

Hello Vladimir,

Welcome to the SN Forum! I am glad that I was able to figure out why you were having difficulties registering.

I have started a new thread in the Personnel section of the forum, specifically for Frederick Cottrell. Hopefully, we will be able to find out more about him.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:33 pm
Profile YIM
Volunteer

Hello Susan,
Once again many thanks. Tell please, it is possible to present at a forum of a picture?

Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:27 pm
Admin

Hi Vladimir,

You can post a picture using the [Img] tag, if it is hosted at an external site like Flickr or Photobucket. You can also post it as an attachment.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:31 pm
Profile YIM
Volunteer

The Kola fort in the beginning of XIX century:

http://i082.radikal.ru/1009/ca/339052ae793f.jpg

http://i062.radikal.ru/1009/eb/57d839d88735.jpg

Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:43 pm
Admin

Peter and Vladimir,

I merged the posts about Cottrell into the new thread in the Personnel section.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:02 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2