View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Flogging round the Fleet 
Admin

Post Flogging round the Fleet
We often read in the novels about flogging round the fleet, but came across a short report in THE TIMES, October 13, 1798, under the heading of:

“Portsmouth, October 11

Wednesday morning a Court Martial was held on board His Majesty’s ship Gladiator on J. Kerr of Teazer gun vessel for exhibiting malicious charges against his Commander, which he could not prove, and being found guilty, he was sentenced to be flogged round the fleet, and be imprisoned six months in Marshalsea......"

I can find no further details of what the aforesaid J Kerr said of his Commander, nor can I find mention of it in my set of Tracy's edited Naval Chronicles, and only have one reprint of James which doesn't include 1798.

Are you able to find details anywhere, Susan? .

Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:41 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

I'll see if I can tease up some information. Ha!

Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:35 am
Profile YIM

Post Flogging Around the Fleet
Flogging Around the Fleet

Since flogging around the fleet recently came up in another thread (CLICK HERE), I wanted to add that link here and bring up a few additional points.

1. If the prisoner died during the flogging, I seem to have read somewhere that he still received the additional blows upon his lifeless body until the total lashes awarded was reached.

2. Also, if the surgeon or doctor stopped the flogging due to the prisoner being close to death; once recovered, the remainder of the lashes were completed at a later date.

Now, here is my question: Did I read these in fiction or is there some historical basis?

Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:57 pm
Lieutenant

Post Re: Flogging round the Fleet
Mary!

You are in luck. The latest publication of the Navy Records Society (see their web site) is a huge tome edited by John Byrn which reprints a huge number of complete court martial records. One of them is that of John Kerr of 'Teazer' - the man you are looking for.

Brian

Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:08 pm
Lieutenant

Post Re: Flogging round the Fleet
Mary!

In case you want immediate information on the case, Mr Kerr was the recently recruited Clerk and Steward of 'Teazer' who unjustifiably accused his captain, Lieut Lawton Robins of sending in false muster books and embezzling stores. Interesting that Kerr was not a seaman or member of the lower deck 'people' on the ship - the more familiar subjects of courts martial.

Brian

Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]