View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Master of Horse - job title 
Lieutenant

Post Master of Horse - job title
My lack of English shames me - it is my mother tongue! Alas, in translating the Danish word (title, position) ekvipagemester the literal translation as Master of Horse does not fit. The job description (translated from the Danish dictionary "Gyldendals" is for the naval officer in the time of sailing ships with responsibilities in the dockyard for the fitting out of the fleet and for the management of the magazines.
I am sure that as soon as one of Sailing Navies members suggests the correct job title, I will say "Of Course!!" - but what is it?
Thanks in advance
Viking

Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:50 pm
Lieutenant

Post Re: Master of Horse - job title
Tricky this Viking!

The Principal Officers of British dockyards in the Napoleonic Wars were-
1. the Commissioner;
2. the Clerk of the Cheque, in charge of pay and accounts;
3. the Storekeeper (also called ‘Naval Officer’), responsible for the receiving and issuing of all naval stores (which were in fact ordered by 4 and 5 below and checked by 6);
4. the Master Shipwright, in charge of the building and repair work of the yard;
5. the Master Attendants who supervised the ships afloat and 'in Ordinary', that is in reserve;
6. the Clerk of the Survey: who in fact checked and supervised the ordering of stores by the other officers.

Judging by your description and by the term ‘ekvipagemester’ – which to me sounds like ‘equipment master’ - I suppose the Storekeeper is the closest equivalent. However all the above were employees of the Navy Board and did not touch gunpowder and canon which were under the Ordnance Board who employed separate officers to deal with them. I doubt therefore if there was a direct equivalent to your man.

Brian

Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:57 am
Lieutenant

Thank you, Brian. I am glad others find it tricky! This word appears to be one whose meaning has diverged in the different languages. I agree it sounds like "equipment" but that word in modern Danish is totally different.

For the article in English on wikipedia see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jens_Schou_Fabricius where I have used the term Master of Horse with a note of explanation of his duties. It could also be translated as Carriage Master.

Should a better understanding emerge, the article can be suitably edited.
Thanks
Viking

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:48 am
Lieutenant

Brian wrote
Quote:
the Storekeeper (also called ‘Naval Officer’), responsible for the receiving and issuing of all naval stores

It has just been pointed out to me that the danish word "magasin" in this context would apply to store houses of various naval goods, not necessarily gunpowder etc. So my man was the Naval Officer storekeeper!!

Thanks again Brian - I will start editing the article to get this right.
Viking :D

Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]