View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Question: three high positions in 18th century Venetian navy 

Post Question: three high positions in 18th century Venetian navy
Hello all, my first post :)

I'm trying to find/confirm some details about three high-ranking positions in the Venetian navy and the men who held them in the early 1740's. I have googled around for days and only come up with vague or incomplete information. So, if there are any Venetian naval history experts out there, help would be much appreciated.

These are from Giacomo Casanova's memoirs "Histoire de ma vie" (I'm working on a translation), and the three gentlemen in question were on Corfu in the early 1740's. The best way to clarify who was what would be their service records, if such documents exist.

1) Provveditore d'armata Antonio Renier. I found out that this is a (rear?)admiral level job, commander of the "light fleet" (armata sottile, i.e. all mainly oar-powered vessels, that is galleys and war galeasses). Actually, Casanova writes "commandant général des galères", and "provveditore d'armata" is just a footnote by G. Gugitz (it may or may not be correct).

2) Capitano delle galeazze Domenico Condulmer. Casanova writes "capitaine des galéasses". This job, commander of the war galeasses, would logically be subordinate to Renier, if he was indeed the provveditore d'armata?

3) Governatore delle galeazze Giacomo da Riva. This is a mystery, I haven't found such a position mentioned anywhere. Some kind of misnomer by Casanova? He writes "gouverneur des galéasses".

Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]