View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 The ships "Congo" and "Dorothy" used in 
Volunteer

Post The ships "Congo" and "Dorothy" used in
Does anyone have information about the fate of the members of this expedition to explore the river Zaire under Captain James Kingston Tuckey. In particular I am looking for Lieutenant Hawkey who died on the expedition.

Mon May 16, 2005 9:30 pm
Admin

Welcome to the SN forum!

I moved your post to the Personnel area since you are asking about a specific officer.

What was Lieutenant Hawkey's first name?

The expedition sounds familiar. I'm thinking there might have been something about it in Fergus Fleming's book Barrow's Boys, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know off hand?

Mon May 16, 2005 10:08 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

What was Lieutenant Hawkey's first name?

The expedition sounds familiar. I'm thinking there might have been something about it in Fergus Fleming's book Barrow's Boys, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know off hand?

I'm searching in The Times and would be interested in knowing more details, too, please. There are several mentions of a RN lieutenant by the name of Hawkey.

Tue May 17, 2005 5:35 am
Profile YIM
Admin

I just checked Barrow's Boys. Chapter 2 covers the expedition. What information in particular do you need? There isn't a whole lot about Lt. Hawkey, I'm afraid.

Tue May 17, 2005 5:46 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

With a nudge from Susie, I looked in THE NAVAL CHRONICLE - the edited version by Tracy - and found mention of a Lieutenant Hawkey who was listed in May 1806 in the chapter Treatment of English Prisoners in France.

Is this of interest to you?

Tue May 17, 2005 6:08 pm
Profile YIM
Volunteer

Post Lt Hawkey in Barrow's Boys
susan wrote:
I just checked Barrow's Boys. Chapter 2 covers the expedition. What information in particular do you need? There isn't a whole lot about Lt. Hawkey, I'm afraid.

Information about Lt. Hawkey--- I would like to know anything mentioned in Barrow's Boys about him. First name, date of death, cause of death, What division of the navy, ANYTHING THAT WILL HELP ME LOCATE HIS FAMILY CONNECTIONS. Thankyou for your reply and interest

Thu May 19, 2005 6:32 am
Volunteer

Hello Susan, The information I have comes from the "Times" from the Literary Gazette. The Congo was a schooner- rigged vessel of about 90 tons. She was commanded by Captain Tuckey, who was the head of the expedition. Other officers were Lieutenant Hawkey, Mr. Fitzmaurice, master and surveyor, Mr Mackerrow, assistant surgeon, two master's mates and Mr eyre, the purser. Captain Tuckey, Lt. Hawkey, Smith, Tudor, Cranch, Galway, Eyre, all died on the expedition. Captain James Kingston Tuckey R.N. wrote his diaries. "Narrative of an expedition to explore the river Zaire was published in 1818 by Murray in London. I have had no success in finding on-line copy of this. It is listed in "Bibliographies as D309. If anyone has access I would like any information about Hawkey that is available.

Thu May 19, 2005 6:50 am
Volunteer

With a nudge from Susie, I looked in THE NAVAL CHRONICLE - the edited version by Tracy - and found mention of a Lieutenant Hawkey who was listed in May 1806 in the chapter Treatment of English Prisoners in France.

Is this of interest to you?

Yes I would be very interested thankyou. As this is a rather unusual name, I feel that there is every likelyhood of navy members with the same name belonging to the same family. They may well be connected to later Hawkey navy personel, the brothers Charles Hawkey, who served with Napier in India, and Henry Charles Moorhead Hawkey, who fought what is regarded as the last duel in England in 1845.

Thu May 19, 2005 6:58 am
Admin

Unfortunately, there is only one paragraph that mentions Lt. Hawkey in Barrow's Boys:

"When Tuckey finally reached the Congo on 16 September his diary became even more elliptic: 'Terrible report of the state on board: coffins...' Yellow fever had struck the Congo too. Professor Smith went on the 22nd, and Mr Eyre the purser—'a young man of a corpulent and bloated habit'—followed him eight days later. By the beginning of October Tuckey and his second-in-command, Lt. Hawkey, were the only officers left alive. Hawkey was shuddering and sweating, already in the second stages of the disease, and Tuckey too was sick—though not from yellow fever but from malaria, which had begun to attack his ailing liver. Tuckey succumbed on 4 October. Lt. Hawkey lived two days longer before he, too, died."

I had a look in James' Naval History and came across a Lieutenant Joseph Hawkey. This is not the same fellow, as he was killed in 1809. Here is the link to the reference in an online version of the book.

James also mentions a Richard Hawkey, who was a marine officer.

Fri May 20, 2005 12:33 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Another book to add to your list of possible references is Edward Giffard's Deeds of Naval Daring: Anecdotes of the British Navy. There is a chapter called "Death of Lieutenant Hawkey." I suspect that it's a retelling of James' account (mentioned in my post above), but I haven't had the chance to compare the two to see if there is any additional information given by Giffard.

Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:03 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Gerry,

Don't know if you're still about, but I found more information. As you noted, it's from James Hingston Tuckey's book.

John Hawkey was serving as a midshipman on Minerve (Captain Jahleel Brenton). Unfortunately, the ship ran aground in July 1803 and the men were taken prisoner by the French. While a prisoner, he received his commission. He was held for 11 years. During this time, he met Tuckey, who was also a prisoner.

The reference Mil found (quoted above) sounds like it was about him.

While on the expedition he was fine until 3 October 1816, when he "expressed a sense of lassitude about his loins and irritability of stomach." The next day he started vomiting and on the 6th "became insensible." He died that evening at 11:00.

A further search using Google Books brings up Neota by Charlotte Hawkey. Skimming through it, it seems John Hawkey was her eldest brother. It includes information about the family, which will be of use to you.

Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:54 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]