View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Horatio Nelson 
Admin

The Times, August 20, 1801, of the attack on Boulogne, and, the subsequent events at Deal:

" ... Lord Nelson, with that humanity which has characterized his naval career, has paid frequent visits to the wounded Officers at sick quarters here, who so nobly shed their blood under his orders at the attack of the French flotilla off Boulogne. A number of the wounded have died since their being landed, among who are Messrs Williams and Gore, two Midshipmen belong to his Majesty's ship Medusa, and they were both this morning interred in one grave. ..... An immense crowed of spectators were present to witness this last tribute of respect to the memory of two gallant young Officers, who, had they lived, would have been ornaments to the profession in which they so nobly fell. His Lordship was sensibly affected during the funeral, and was seen to shed tears ....."

Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:28 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Herewith the last of the three "naval rewards" regarding pensions/annuities as published in The Times, February 8th, 1806:

" ... Lord Castlereagh presented a message from his Majesty, expressing, that, 'in consideration of the splendid and unparalleled achievements of Horatio Viscount Nelson, during his whole life, and which had terminated in his glorious death, in the decisive victory of Trafalgar, his Majesty was desirous of conferring an annuity of 2000l(£) on Lady Nelson during her life, and recommended to his faithful Commons to consider of a proper method for executing the same'. ...."

Tue May 12, 2009 11:02 am
Profile YIM
Admin

...I happened along this article from the online EDP; Napoleon’s and Nelson’s families lie buried in the same churchyard.

It's a place I can easily call into on one of my jaunts, compliments of my bus pass, on the Norfolk Coast Hopper bus service.

Fri May 29, 2009 1:15 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Post Chair

I vaguely caught something on BBC1 local news for East Anglia today where they were talking about a leather chair of Nelson's being renovated in Northampton and then being put on display at the RN Museum at Portsmouth.

I haven't been able to find anything online to elaborate. If anyone else finds anything, please add to this post. Thanks....:)

Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:02 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Post Re: Chair
Mil Goose wrote:

I vaguely caught something on BBC1 local news for East Anglia today where they were talking about a leather chair of Nelson's being renovated in Northampton and then being put on display at the RN Museum at Portsmouth.

I haven't been able to find anything online to elaborate. If anyone else finds anything, please add to this post. Thanks....:)

....ah, I've found what I was looking for now: from the BBC and the RN Museum

Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:59 am
Profile YIM
Admin

That must have been an interesting project for the conservator to work on.

Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:25 pm
Profile YIM

Post Nelson's sarcophagus
Nelson's sarcophagus

According to the Wikipedia article on Cardinal Thomas Wolsey, the impressive black sarcophagus containing Lord Nelson's body at St. Paul's was originally made for Wolsey. However by the time that Wolsey died in 1530 he was in severe disfavor of Henry VIII. Henry had Wolsey buried without a monument. Since Nelson died in 1805, does anyone know where the sarcophagus was for 275 years?

I ran across this while doing some research during my reading of "Wolf Hall" by Hilary Mantel which was recommended by Mary. This novel is about Thomas Cromwell and his relationship with Wolsey and the King.

Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:58 pm
Commander

The following is from Nicolas' "Despatches and Letters of Lord Nelson" Vol. VII:
"The sarcophagus and pedestal which were brought from Wolsey’s tomb house at Windsor, were the same which the Cardinal had prepared for the reception of his own body in the reign of King Henry the Eighth.”

Nicolas gives as his authority "Dugdale’s History of St. Paul’s" by Ellis. (This seems to have been published in 1818).

So, presumeably the sarcophagus lay in the tomb house for all those years.

Don: Have you read C.J. Sansom's novel "Dissolution", which covers the same period of Henry VIII's reign and is highly recommended?

Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:49 pm

The following is from Nicolas' "Despatches and Letters of Lord Nelson" Vol. VII: "The sarcophagus and pedestal which were brought from Wolsey’s tomb house at Windsor, were the same which the Cardinal had prepared for the reception of his own body in the reign of King Henry the Eighth." Nicolas gives as his authority "Dugdale’s History of St. Paul’s" by Ellis. (This seems to have been published in 1818). So, presumeably the sarcophagus lay in the tomb house for all those years.
Thanks, Peter. It must be amazing to have a castle (Windsor) so large that something so magnificent could just lie about for such a long period. It's good to be the King/Queen!

IONIA wrote:
Don: Have you read C.J. Sansom's novel "Dissolution", which covers the same period of Henry VIII's reign and is highly recommended?
Thanks for the suggestion. Mary has been trying to educate me about the Dissolution of the Monasteries in England with some links and a book she wants to review before recommending. Might be the same one. I appreciate the help with my education. I understand that Hilary Mantel is working on a sequel to "Wolf Hall" which will cover more of Thomas Cromwell's life.

Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:20 am
Admin

"Nelson's Jetty in danger in Great Yarmouth" - from the online EDP

Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:57 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

The article doesn't say how much restoration would cost. Do you know the figure, Mil?

Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:13 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Photo of pier: Jetti-son?

The article doesn't say how much restoration would cost. Do you know the figure, Mil?

Thanks for posting that photograph, Susie. It all looks so different down there now on the seaward side of GY now they have developed that new harbour.**

Reference the restoration cost, I have found an entry in the online Great Yarmouth Mercury where it states that the local borough council had £90,000 earmarked for partial restoration. Thankfully, it looks though a rescue could be on hand from a local heritage group.

Newspaper article here.

** Sniff of nostalgia: it used to be a favourite place of ours down there at the river mouth where we could watch the GY pilots embark/disembark from the support vessel going to the rigs, and where our two small (at the time) grandsons re-arranged the English coast with their buckets and spades.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:16 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Mil Goose wrote:

I've just been listening to a discussion about this subject on BBC Radio Norfolk where it was said that the structure itself dates from the 1950's but on the site where Nelson landed in 1801.

There are still attempts to save it. Info here from the GY Mercury and and another photograph here and further information

Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:30 am
Profile YIM
Admin

I've just been listening to a discussion about this subject on BBC Radio Norfolk where it was said that the structure itself dates from the 1950's but on the site where Nelson landed in 1801.

There are still attempts to save it. Info here from the GY Mercury and and another photograph here and further information

Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:32 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Hm. The Mercury article is worded in such a way that it sounds like it is the actual jetty that Nelson landed on instead of one built in the 1950s.

Was there actually a jetty in place in Nelson's time or does the current jetty just mark the spot where he landed? If there was a jetty, does any part of the current jetty correspond to it (is it like a replica)?

Is it of any other historic significance (special construction? only one of its kind? etc.) other than just marking where Nelson landed?

Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:52 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next